What are yeast infections?
Got that itchy feeling?
Do you think you might have a yeast infection? Three out of four women
will have a yeast infection at least once in their lifetime. It’s a common condition. A yeast infection is an overgrowth of yeast in your vagina, leading to uncomfortable symptoms such as:
• itching and burning in and around your vagina
• burning sensation when urinating (peeing)
• vaginal pain or discomfort during sex
• vaginal discharge that may look like cottage cheese (it may also be thinner or absent).
If you’re wondering whether you’ve really got a yeast infection, see your doctor to be sure. Why take chances? Get the right treatment that works fast, the first time you use it.
The truth about yeast!
Did you know that you can have yeast in your vagina even when you don’t have a yeast infection? Yeast, also called Candida, is naturally found in a healthy vagina and on other body areas, along with a number of kinds of healthy bacteria. Normally the yeast and bacteria don’t give you any problems unless they overgrow.
There are different types of Candida. If you’ve got a yeast infection, you most likely have the type called Candida albicans, which is responsible for about 90% of all yeast infections. A rarer type, Candida glabrata, causes most of the other 10% of infections and can be harder to treat. These harder-to-treat infections may require a prescription from your doctor for a medication that is more effective against the rarer types of yeast. So, see your doctor before you start treating your own yeast infection.
Although yeast can infect other areas of your body, the term “yeast infections” is often used to refer to yeast infections in the vagina. These infections can also be called “female yeast infections” or “vaginal yeast infections.” This channel focuses on yeast infections in the vagina. Want to learn more about yeast infections in other parts of your body? Visit the Disease or Condition library.