Earning a PHD Degree in Philosophy: Things you Should Know
PHD or Doctor of Philosophy is a doctorate degree awarded by several universities in different countries. The universities in countries like Australia, USA, and Newzealand award PhD degree in wide range of programs in the sciences. To pursue studies for a PhD program to get a doctorate degree, a student is required to have a Bachelor’s or a Master’s Degree with high academic grades.
PhD in Australia is the highest awarded degree offered by Australian universities in different disciplines. The doctoral degree includes a review of the relevant literature, an original research project and a well ordered thesis.
2. United State of America (USA)
PhD in USA is a series of three phases of course work. Depending upon the study field, to complete PhD in USA, it takes four to eight years of study after the Bachelor’s Degree; and a year or two less for those who complete PhD after master’s degree. To get admission in any of the USA universities for PhD studies, a candidate must meet following requirements:
- Candidates have to send a SOP (Statement of Purpose), indicating a fit between the program and candidate, to the universities they are interested in and wish to apply at.
- Candidates need to take GRE General Test, an English Language Proficiency Test like IELTS, and the GRE Subject Test as required by the programs that they want to apply for.
- Candidates need to send recommendation letters (including purpose of PhD and an essay based on that) to the institute they want to apply in.
3. New Zealand
Universities in New Zealand offer education for PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) in a diverse array of subjects. PhD in New Zealandidnd is a 3-4 years full time course during which a student has to prepare a substantial thesis under supervision. Upon completion of the course, a student is tested on the basis of oral examination of the thesis, after which PhD degree is awarded. A candidate has to meet a set of basic requirements to get admission in PhD in New Zealand Universities. The set of requirements include:
- A student must meet the basic qualification requirements specified by the respective universities and should even be able to provide relevant proof for the same.
- A student has to give English Language Proficiency test to state his proficiency in English language.